Maple Roasted Carrots with Cranberries
- 500 g / 1.1 lb. / 17 oz. Medium Young Carrots, Scrubbed Clean
- 100 g / 3.5 oz. Fresh Cranberries
- 60 ml / ¼ Cup Maple Syrup, Divided
- zest of ½ Large Orange
- 30 ml / 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Harissa Paste, Adjust to Taste (Strength Varies!)
- A Few Springs of Thyme or Lemon Thyme
- 1 Garlic Clove, Finely Grated
- ½ Tbsp Salt, Adjust to Taste
- Black Pepper, to Serve
- 20 g / ¼ Cup Almond Flakes
- Set the Oven to 170° C / 340° F Fan Forced (or 190° C / 375° F no Fan) and Line One Large Baking Tray (or Two Smaller Ones) with Baking Paper.
- Trim the Green Tops Off the Carrots (You can Make Pesto Out of Them or Add them to Soups) and Cut Carrots Into Halves Lengthwise.
- Coat Cranberries in 1 tbsp. of Maple Syrup and Mix in Orange Zest.
- In A Separate Bowl, Combine Olive Oil, 3 Tbsp. Maple Syrup, Harissa Paste, Thyme Leaves (About 1 Tbsp), Garlic, Salt and A Good Pinch of Black Pepper.
- Coat Dry Carrots in the Maple and Harissa Mixture (Keep any Leftovers) and Space them Out on A Large Baking Tray, If you have A Large Tray, Place Cranberries at the Other End, if not Use Two Separate Trays.
- Roast for About 20-25 Minutes, Until Carrots are Tender and the Exterior Slightly Caramelized and Cranberries are Soft and Jammy. If Cranberries are done Sooner, Remove them from the Tray with A Spatula and Set Aside. If you have Any Leftover Carrot Marinade, Apply it with A Brush Again Half Way Through the Baking Time.
- Toast Almonds Lightly in A Hot Pan Until Lightly Browned and Fragrant.
- Place Roasted Carrots and Cranberries on A Large Serving Platter. Sprinkle with Toasted Almonds and Fresh Thyme or Finely Chopped Carrot Tops (but Go Easy on them as they Taste Litter).