Thai Red Curry with Shrimp and Vegetables
For the Infused Rice:
- 1 3/4 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 3 Cardamom Pods, Crushed with the Back of A Knife
- 2 Star Anise Pods
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
For the Curry:
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Grated Ginger
- 2 Scallions, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Medium Shallot, Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 (14.5 Ounce) Cans Full-fat Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Pound Large Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Very Thinly Sliced
- 1 Small-Medium Broccoli Crown, Cut Into Small Florets
- 2 Large Carrots, Shaved Into Ribbons with A Vegetable Peeler
- Zest of 1 Lime
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro, Plus Extra for Serving
- Thai Basil for Serving
- Thinly Sliced Scallions for Serving
- Lime Wedges for Serving
- Begin by Making the Rice. Bring the Water to A Boil in A Medium Saucepan (That has A Lid). Once Boiling, Add the Rice, Cardamom Pods, Star Ansie Pods, and Salt. Stir to Combine. Cover and Reduce Heat to Medium-low. Cook for 15-20 Minutes, or Until all Liquid is Absorbed and Rice is Tender. Fluff with A Fork and Discard Cardamom and Star Anise Pods.
- While the Rice is Cooking, Make the Curry. Heat A Large, Deep Skillet Over Medium-high Heat. Add the Coconut Oil. Once Hot, Add the Garlic, Ginger, and A Pinch of Salt and Sauté for 30 Seconds to 1 Minute, or Until Fragrant. Add the Scallions and Shallot and Sauté for Another 2 Minutes. Add the Curry Paste and Cook for An Additional 1-2 Minutes, Stirring Constantly to Prevent it from Burning.
- Add the Coconut Milk, Salt, and Pepper. Increase Heat to High and Bring to A Boil. Once Boiling, Add the Shrimp, Bell Pepper, Broccoli, and Carrots. Reduce Heat Slightly and Simmer for 2-3 Minutes, or Until Shrimp are Cooked Through and Vegetables are Cooked to your Liking.
- Remove from Heat, Let Cool for A Minute or Two, and Stir in Lime Zest, Lime Juice, and Soy Sauce. Season to Taste with Additional Salt and Pepper if Desired. Serve the Curry Over the Infused Rice, and Garnish with Extra Cilantro, Thai Basil, and Scallions. Serve with Lime Wedges.