Lightened Up Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 pounds Sweet Potatoes Or Yams
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Cut Into Small Pieces
- 1/4 cup Low-fat (1%%) Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Paprika, Divided
- 3/4 cups Panko Breadcrumbs, Whole Wheat Or Regular
- 1/3 cup Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Sage
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
Pierce sweet potatoes or yams all over with a fork. Place in the microwave and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, turning halfway through, 15–20 minutes.
Let the potatoes cool for several minutes. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh into a large bowl.
To the potatoes, add butter, milk, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon paprika. Using a hand mixer, mix until smooth. Transfer potatoes to an 11- by 7-inch baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, sage, remaining paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over sweet potatoes.
Bake until casserole is heated through and breadcrumbs are browned, about 15 minutes. Serve.