The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf
- 1 Cup Dry Lentils (Use Green/Brown)
- 2 1/2 Cups Water or Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Flaxseed Meal (Ground Flaxseeds)
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Steam Saute Using 1/4 Cup Water
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper, Finely Diced
- 1 Carrot, Finely Diced or Grated
- 1 Celery Stalk, Finely Diced
- 3/4 Cup Oats (I Used GF Oats)
- 1/2 Cup Oat Flour or Finely Ground Oats (any Flour of Choice will Work here too)
- 1 Heaping Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Heaping Teaspoon Cumin, Optional
- 1/2 Teaspoon Each Garlic Powder & Onion Powder (for Good Measure!)
- 1/4 – 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Chipotle Pepper, Optional
- Cracked Pepper & Sea Salt to Taste
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- Prepare Lentils: Rinse the Lentils, Remove Odd Pieces. In Large Pot Add 2 1/2 Cups Water/Broth with Lentils. Bring to A Boil, Reduce Heat, Cover and Simmer for About 35 – 40 Minutes, Stirring Occasionally. It’s ok if they get Mushy, We are Going to Roughly Puree 3/4 of the Mixture When Cooled. Once Done, Remove Lid and Set Aside to Cool (there Should Only be A Little Bit of Water so do not Drain), Lentils will Thicken A Bit Upon Standing, About 15 Minutes is Good.
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees.
- Make Flax Egg: In Small Bowl Combine Flaxseed Meal and 1/3 Cup Water, Set Aside for at Least 10 Minutes, Preferably in the Refrigerator. This will Act as A Binder and will Thicken Nicely Upon Sitting.
- Saute Vegetables & Spices: In Saute Pan Heat Oil or Water Over Medium Heat. Saute Garlic, Onion, Bell Pepper, Carrots and Celery for About 5 Minutes. Add Spices Mixing Well to Incorporate. Set Aside to Cool.
- Mash the Lentils: Using an Immersion Blender, Food Processor, Back of A Fork or Potato Masher, Blend 3/4 of the Lentil Mixture. For me this was An Important Part, I Tried it Other Ways and this Worked to Help as A Binder. If Using An Immersion Blender, Tilt the Pot Slightly to the Side for Easier Blending.
- Assemble Lentil Loaf: Combine Sauteed Vegetables with the Lentils, Oats, Oat Flour and Flax-Egg, Mix Well. Taste, Adding Salt and Pepper as Needed, or any other Herb or Spice you Might Like. Place Mixture Into A Loaf Pan Lined with Parchment Paper, Leaving it Overlapping for Easy Removal Later. Press Down Firmly Filling in Along the Edges Too.
- Glaze: Prepare your Glaze by Combining All Ingredients in A Small Bowl, Mix Until Incorporated. I Recommend Making Each Tablespoon Heaping so you have Plenty of this Great Sauce on Top (if Using Tomato Paste and Mixture is Too Thick, Add A Teaspoon of Water, or A Little Extra Vinegar & Syrup). Spread Evenly Over Top the Loaf.
- Bake: Place in Center of the Oven, and Bake in Oven for About 45 – 50 Minutes. Let Cool A Bit Before Slicing.