Paleo Vegan Peach Cobbler with Almond Flour Biscuits
- 1 ½ Pounds (680 g) Peaches, Pitted and Cut Into Thick Slices or Wedges (About 5 Cups)
- 3 Tablespoons (30 g) Maple Syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Tapioca Flour
- Pinch Fine Sea Salt
- ½ Cup (75 g) Cassava Flour, or GF AP Flour for Non-Paleo
- ½ Cup (60 g) Almond or Hazelnut Flour/Meal, or Try Tiger Nut Flour for Nut-Free
- 3 Tablespoons (30 g) Maple Sugar or Coconut Sugar, Plus more for Sprinkling
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt (Decrease by Half if Using Salted Butter)
- 4 Tablespoons (56 g) Cold, Unsalted Butter or Vegan Butter in 1⁄4-inch Dice
- ¼ Cup (60 g) Unsweetened Plant Yogurt, Such as Forager Cashewgurt
- ¼ Cup (60 g) Coconut Cream (or Full-Fat Coconut Milk)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Maple or Coconut Sugar
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Cream or Milk
- Plant-Based Vanilla Ice Cream, for Serving
- Position A Rack in the Upper Third of the Oven and Preheat to 400ºF.
- In A Large Bowl, Toss Together the Peach Slices, Maple Syrup, Tapioca Flour, and Salt. Scrape Into A Baking Dish (I Used A 7×10” Oval Dish; A 9-Inch Pie Plate Would Work Too) and Bake Until the Peaches are Warm and Beginning to Release Some Juices While you Make the Biscuits, 15-20 Minutes.
- Meanwhile, Whisk Together the Cassava and Almond Flours, Maple Sugar, Baking Powder, and Salt in A Large Bowl. Add the Cold Butter Bits and Rub with Your Fingertips or Cut with A Pastry Blender Until the Butter is Somewhat Worked in with Some Pea-Sized Bits Remaining. Optionally Refrigerate for 10 Minutes if your Kitchen is very Hot or if you’re Working Slowly.
- In A Small Bowl, Stir Together the 2 Teaspoons Maple Sugar and the Cinnamon for Topping the Biscuits.
- Place the Plant Yogurt, Coconut Cream, and Vanilla in A Small
- Pour the Hot Dairy Mixture Into the Flour/Butter Mixture and Quickly but Gently Stir with A Flexible Silicone Spatula Until Just Combined.
- Remove the Peaches from the Oven. Working Quickly, Use A Large Spoon to Scoop 6-8 Lumps of Dough Over the Hot Peaches. Brush with Coconut Cream and Sprinkle with the Cinnamon Maple Sugar.
- Bake the Cobbler Until the Biscuits are Golden on Top and Cooked Through and the Fruit is Bubbling Vigorously, 20-30 Minutes. Let Cool 5-10 Minutes, then Serve Hot or Warm, with Ice Cream.