- Olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1½ tsp coriander
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tspsumac
- 1½ tsp crushed red peppers
- 2 tsp dried mint flakes
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water, more if needed
- 12 oz frozen cut leaf spinach (no need to thaw)
- 1½ cups small brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 cups chopped flat leaf parsley
In a large ceramic or cast iron pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the chopped onions and sautee until golden brown. Add the garlic, all the spices, dried mint, sugar and flour. Cook for about 2 minutes on medium-high heat stirring regularly.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked to tender. (Partway through cooking, check the liquid levels, and if you need to add a little bit of hot water.)
Once the lentils are fully cooked, stir in the lime juice and chopped parsley. Remove from the heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes or so.
Serve hot with pita bread or your favorite rustic Italian bread.