Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- ¾ Cup Dry Quinoa
- 1 ½ Cups Vegetable Broth, Low Sodium
- 3 Acorn Squash (Medium-Sized)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil + More for Brushing Acorn Flesh
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 Stalk Celery, Finely Diced
- 1 Large Apple, Diced
- 8 Ounces Cremini Mushrooms, Diced
- ½ Cup Cranberries (Fresh or Frozen)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Sage
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Himalayan Salt (or Preferred Salt), More to Taste
- Fresh Cracked Pepper, to Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- Preheat Oven to 425 Degrees F
- Cut A Thin Slicet off The Bottom of Each Squash to Create A Flat Edge, So The Squash Can Stand up (Don’t Cut Too Much or It Will Leave A Hole). Cut Stems off The Tops If They Protrude. Now Cut Each Squash Horizontally in Half. Scoop Out The Membranes and Seeds Inside of The Squash & Discard.
- Place The Squash on A Rimmed Baking Sheet, Cut-Side Up. Brush The Inside With Olive Oil and Sprinkle With Salt & Pepper. (Optional: Lightly Brush With Maple Syrup to Add A Subtle Sweetness) Roast The Squash for About 35-45 Minutes, or Until Tender (Test With A Fork).
- Add The Quinoa and Broth to A Medium Pot. Bring to A Boil and Then Turn Heat Down to Maintain A Low Simmer. Cover With Lid and Cook Until Liquid is Gone and Quinoa is Fluffy. This Usually Takes About 15-20 Minutes to Cook. Remove from Heat and Fluff With Fork. Set Aside.
- In A Large Pan, Heat 2 Tablespoons of Oil Over Medium Heat. Sauté The Onion, Celery, Apples Until Softened. About 5-6 Minutes
- Add The Mushrooms, Cranberries, Garlic, Sage, Thyme, Cinnamon, Salt, and Pepper. Sauté About 7-9 Minutes, or Until Mushrooms and Cranberries are Tender (If Food Sticks to The Pan, You Can Splash A Little Vegetable Broth or White Wine to Deglaze).
- Remove from Heat and Add The Cooked Quinoa. Combine Well and Taste for Seasoning, Add More As Needed.
- When The Squash is Ready, Fill With The Stuffing Mixture. (Optional: Drizzle/Spritz Top of Stuffing With Oil for A Crispier Top). Place in Oven and Bake 10-15 Minutes, Until The Quinoa is Lightly Browned & Crispy.