Grilled Salmon with Dill Sauce, Grilled Filet Mignon with Caramelized onions, Sautéed Grape Tomatoes, and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Chef Guy Mitchell and Chef Woody Raber of the White House Chefs Tour have been cooking for US Presidents for years. This Presidents’ Day, they share some great dishes that are simple enough to prepare and that will have everybody at the dinner table wanting seconds!!!
Grilled Salmon with Dill Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 pinches brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2-pound salmon fillet, skin on
Preheat Gunter Wilhelm grill pan for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
Mix mayonnaise, dill, mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl. Spread vegetable oil over salmon skin.
Grill salmon skin-side down on preheated grill.
Cook for 6 to 12 minutes until salmon is easily flaked with a fork.
Heat mayonnaise/dill mixture in small saucepan and spoon over finished salmon
Grilled Filet Mignon with Caramelized onions
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- Kosher salt and coarse cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 (4-ounce) beef filets mignons
For the caramelized onions, in a nonstick skillet combine onion slices, brown sugar, broth, vinegar, olive oil, and garlic. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat; set aside.
For the Filets, rub salt and pepper onto both sides of filets. Using a Preheated Gunter Wilhelm Grill Pan. Grill to desired doneness, 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare meat. Remove from grill; let filets rest a few minutes.
Top each filet with caramelized onions.
Sautéed grape tomatoes
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
Sauté tomatoes and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in a small ProCook Non-Stick skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and stir in basil.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 medium head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Drizzle garlic with olive oil, then wrap in aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop. Stir in butter, milk, salt and pepper.
Remove the garlic from the oven, and cut in half. Squeeze the softened cloves into the potatoes. Blend potatoes with an electric mixer until desired consistency is achieved.