- 1 large round loaf of bread such as French, Italian, or sourdough.
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (I chose cheddar and Monterey Jack blend).
- 8 oz. crisp bacon, chopped.
- ½ cup melted butter (one ¼ lb stick of unsalted butter)
- 1 tbsp dry Ranch dressing mix from packet (one .4 oz. packet)
Cut the bread in ¾-inch intervals (you could cut it in ½-inch or 1-inch intervals instead) but be careful to NOT cut all the way through – Make sure to cut lengthwise first
Place the cheddar blend between all the cuts – Be sure to work it in thoroughly.
Then pile on the bacon
Put loaded round ion a sheet of heavy-duty foil
Measure the Ranch mix (this was a .4 oz. packet which was one tbsp.) then add to the melted butter and give it a good stir till mixed thoroughly
Drizzle the liquid layers of flavor all over the bread
Encase the bacon cheddar bread in foil and prepare the grill for two zone/indirect grilling with coals on one side (or in this case on either side) and none on the other (none in the middle for this one)
Target internal temperature of the grill for this session is 350 degrees
Bake at 350 in the foil for 15 minutes
Toss in some smoke wood, uncover and bake 10 minutes more to allow the smoke to penetrate the bread
Remove from the grill and serve.