Classic Mulled Wine
- 2 Small Oranges or 1 Large
- 1 Bottle of Red Wine
- ¼ Cup Brandy
- 1 To 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup or Honey, to Taste
- 2 Whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 Star Anise
- 4 Whole Cloves
- Optional Garnishes: Fresh Whole Cranberries (About ¼ Cup), Cinnamon Sticks, Additional Orange Rounds or Half Moons
- To Prepare the Oranges, if Using 2 Small, Slice One Orange Into Rounds and Slice The Other in Half. If Using 1 Large Orange, Slice it in Half Through the Round Middle, then Slice One of the Halves Into Rounds. Place the Rounds Into A Medium Heavy-Bottomed Pot or Small Dutch Oven. Squeeze the Juice from the Remaining Oranges Into the Pot.
- Pour the Wine Into the Pot, Followed By the Brandy. Add 1 Tablespoon of the Sweetener For Now. Add the Cinnamon Sticks, Star Anise and Cloves.
- Warm the Mixture Over Medium Heat Until Steaming (About 5 Minutes), and Keep An Eye on it. When You Start Seeing the Tiniest of Bubbles at the Surface, Reduce the Heat to the Lowest of Low.
- Carefully Taste, and Add Another Tablespoon of Sweetener if it’s Not Sweet Enough for Your Liking. if it’s Not Spicy Enough to Suit Your Preferences, Continue Cooking Over Very Low Heat for 5 to 10 More Minutes.