Chakalaka is A Traditional South African Vegetable Relish that Tastes Amazing Served with Bread, Stews, Meat and More.
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 50 g Ginger Finely Grated
- 2 Tbsp Mild Curry Powder
- 1 Red Pepper Finely Chopped
- 1 Yellow Pepper Finely Chopped
- 5 Large Carrots (Unpeeled but Scrubbed and Topped and Tailed) Grated
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Purée
- 400 g Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme Leaves Only
- 400 g Can Baked Beans
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- To A Pan Over Medium Heat, Add the Oil. Then Add Onion and Sauté Until Translucent and Softened.
- Add Garlic, Ginger and Curry Powder. Stir to Combine.
- Add Peppers. Cook for 2 Mins.
- Add Carrots. Stir to Combine and Ensure They’re Coated in Curry Powder.
- Add Tomatoes and Tomato Paste. Stir to Combine.
- Cook Mixture for 5-10 Mins. Mixture Should be Well Combined and Thickened Slightly.
- Add Baked Beans and Fresh Thyme. Simmer for 5 Mins.
- Remove from Heat. Can be Served Hot or Cold.