- 1 large Boule ~ a round loaf of bread, as seen in photos
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 Roasted Red Peppers from a jar
- 1/2 Red Onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- Fresh basil leaves
- Green Olives, about 2 dozen
- 2 (125g) balls of Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 slices of cooked Ham, (I prefer air dried ham, but it makes the loaf difficult to cut)
- Salt and pepper
First ~ cut the top of the bread, as seen in the photos, about 2″, and scoop all of the inside of the bread loaf ~ leaving a 1/2″ shell; crumble the bread between your fingers or in a food processor and freeze as breadcrumbs for cooking later.
Then the fun begins, you start to layer your sandwich ~ now, this is NOT written in stone, but these are the layers I prefer, for texture and flavor mingling!
First, you place three of your roasted red peppers in the bottom of the shell; I had to cut mine into halves to fit them in snugly.
Then add the sliced red onions and then some torn basil leaves and then the olives
Next is the Mozzarella cheese, push the slices into the corners as far as you can, tearing some if need be, so they all fit snugly into the bread shell.
Scatter a few more basil leaves over the tomatoes
Next is the ham
Now we start to duplicate the ingredients again, adding more roasted red peppers, then more mozzarella cheese and then lastly adding some more slices of fresh tomatoes, not forgetting to add seasoning.